free flying soul

"this world has nothing for me and this world has everything...all that I could want and nothing that I need"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Macclesfield, North Carolina, United States

Born: 1970; Graduated High School: 1988; Married: 1991; Children: 1996, 2000, 2005; Graduated College: 2008; Figured Out This Faith Thing: In Progress

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Oh no...I spilled Jesus

Vince Antonucci was sharing a comment overheard at Forefront Church of Christ's Tuesday night service (it is held in a pub) and I can't get it out of my head now. A visitor to the service accidentally knocked over one of the communion cups and made the comment that she had "spilled Jesus." At face value it's a pretty funny saying. I don't know whether the lady was trying to be funny or if she was serious, so I give her the benefit of the doubt. Vince suggested that it would be a great title to a book and I'm starting to think that he's right.

We (as Christians) have Jesus dwelling within us. His Spirit should move and guide us. How many times have I carelessly (or deliberately) disregarded His presence in my life? How often have I taken what He's given me (and it cost Him dearly) and just knocked it over? Do I really believe there was some sort of sacrilege committed when a little cup of grape juice got spilled...of course not. However, I do recognize that there have been times in my life when I not only dropped the cup...I knocked the whole tray to the floor. I think that's where grace comes in.

I have children and I can't count the number of times that one of them have knocked over a cup and spilled their beverage all over the floor, table or car. My usual reaction is to proclaim my disgust...LOUDLY. There's not much grace in that is there? If Jesus can watch me mess up as much as I have and STILL forgive me...I need to seriously reconsider the way I hold others accountable.

We've all knocked over the cup. We've all spilled Jesus. The great thing is that He's right there to clean up the mess.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Dieta, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://dieta-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

1:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home