free flying soul

"this world has nothing for me and this world has everything...all that I could want and nothing that I need"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Macclesfield, North Carolina, United States

Born: 1970; Graduated High School: 1988; Married: 1991; Children: 1996, 2000, 2005; Graduated College: 2008; Figured Out This Faith Thing: In Progress

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

A Good Start

22 Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord. 23 For the husband is the head of the wife even as Christ is the head of the church, his body, and is himself its Savior. 24 Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit in everything to their husbands.
25 Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her, 26 that he might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word, 27 so that he might present the church to himself in splendor, without spot or wrinkle or any such thing, that she might be holy and without blemish. 28 In the same way husbands should love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. 29 For no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as Christ does the church, 30 because we are members of his body. 31 “Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and hold fast to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh.” 32 This mystery is profound, and I am saying that it refers to Christ and the church. 33 However, let each one of you love his wife as himself, and let the wife see that she respects her husband.

Ephesians 5:22-32 (ESV)


Today marks the 19th anniversary of my marriage. Honestly…it doesn’t seem like it’s been that long. I don’t feel like I’m old enough to be married that long. I got married when I was 21 so that means I have been married for nearly half of my life. I started dating my wife in 1989 so that means I have been with her for 21 years. That IS over half of my life. I have heard people make jokes about marriage and if the truth be told…I am sure have made my fair share of them as well. But here’s the deal…I don’t feel like I’m missing out on anything because I have been with the same woman for half of my life. I wish I could honestly say that she is the only one that I have been with. That isn’t the punchline to a joke…it’s something to be admired. It’s something to be held up and celebrated. It seems like staying with someone is the exception these days…instead of the norm. 19 years have gone by way too quickly. I feel like my wife and I have just started to figure this whole thing out. Sometimes I feel like we're newlyweds and that we have a whole lifetime ahead of us. I truly hope that we live to be 80 or 90 and can look back on 60 + years of being together. I can honestly say that I am married to my best friend. We’ve gotten off to a pretty good start and I can’t wait to see what lies ahead.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home