free flying soul

"this world has nothing for me and this world has everything...all that I could want and nothing that I need"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Macclesfield, North Carolina, United States

Born: 1970; Graduated High School: 1988; Married: 1991; Children: 1996, 2000, 2005; Graduated College: 2008; Figured Out This Faith Thing: In Progress

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

The Innocence Project



I watched a documentary on this organization this past weekend. I must say that they have my support. I have always been open to the suggestion that our justice system was flawed but seeing some of the real people involved in these false prosecutions got to me. I guess it has been growing inside of me ever since I was falsely ticketed for not wearing a seatbelt a few years ago. I realize that does not compare the stories of people jailed for rape and murder...but it made me realize that if the system decides you are guilty...you are guilty no matter what evidence that have. I sat there (with my seatbelt on) while the officer smiled and said, "You didn't have it on when I saw you." The county D.A. smiled and told me, "Well, you've probably driven without one before...so now you're even." I realize that it was a relatively minor thing...but it was the principle. I was guilty (even though I was not) simply because they said so.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home