free flying soul

"this world has nothing for me and this world has everything...all that I could want and nothing that I need"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Macclesfield, North Carolina, United States

Born: 1970; Graduated High School: 1988; Married: 1991; Children: 1996, 2000, 2005; Graduated College: 2008; Figured Out This Faith Thing: In Progress

Monday, July 11, 2005


The Greatest Game Ever. Posted by Picasa

I don't know how many quarters I have pumped into one of these machines over the years; probably enough to feed at least one or two Third World villages. My love affair with this lady began a long time ago in a place not too far away. In fact, it began right here in the very room that I type this. I will admit that I originally fell in love with her on the Atari 2600 and she didn't look quite as stunning as she does in this picture but the store down the road had one of the REAL ones sitting in the corner by the soft drinks. My brother and I spent many a summer day down at that store popping in quarters and eating the Two For A Dollar hotdogs. It is one of the defining moments of my youth.

Even after I turned sixteen and was on the road, I still found time for her. I had a job and a girlfriend but I gave the lady every moment I could spare. Sometimes I would sit up all night with one of those cruddy Atari joysticks in hand, trying to elevate my score. It was magical. Even after the Atari vanished and the arcades began to fill up with those fighting games, the lady still held a grip on my heart. Every time I would see one of the now-faded machines, I would eagerly dig into my pocket and find a quarter. I STILL do.

It amazes me that with all the technology available and all the complicated games out there, the lady still commands respect. Go into any arcade, any theater, or any convenient mart and you'll likely find her over in the corner with her best friend Galaga. There's just something about her simplicity that still manages to keep people entertained.

I'm married now and have three children. I am in school and looking for a full-time ministry but I will tell you right now...the lady STILL has a hold of my heart. And she always will.

HERE is a place you can play online.


3 Comments:

Blogger praynlady said...

Walmart carries this in a handy travel joystick format. Will hook up to any tv and it works well. I have one in my camper for when we are "roughin it" lol 19.99 Great buy!

4:46 PM  
Blogger praynlady said...

Best game ever is most definitely Centipede!

10:27 AM  
Blogger Lee said...

My wife is a HUGE Centipede fan. I dig Asteroids as well...especially the Atari 2600 version.

12:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home