free flying soul

"this world has nothing for me and this world has everything...all that I could want and nothing that I need"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Macclesfield, North Carolina, United States

Born: 1970; Graduated High School: 1988; Married: 1991; Children: 1996, 2000, 2005; Graduated College: 2008; Figured Out This Faith Thing: In Progress

Monday, July 04, 2005

Confessions Of A Teenage Headbanger

I have a confession to make...I like hard rock and heavy metal. Don't let the links on this page fool you...I LOVE IT LOUD. I do listen to all of the artists you see over there on the left, in fact, I probably listen to them more than anything else. I have gotten older and mellowed somewhat but that doesn't mean I won't throw the devil horns from time to time.

I don't know when my love affair with loud, screaming guitars began. I guess it could be traced to all those KISS albums in my uncle's bedroom. I remember going to see my grandparents when I was a kid and digging through his stack of albums. There were probably over a hundred but there were three groups grabbed my attention: KISS, Meatloaf, and Boston. I'll be honest, I don't know that I even listened to the records but the album covers captivated me. The names stuck in my mind and years later, when I was older, I sought those groups out. I wasn't disappointed. But the REAL love affair began in 1983 and it was love at first sight.

MTV was a young cable network at the time and it played something called music videos. There were lots of bands from England on MTV in 1983 and they were playing music on synthesizers. Most of them were cute and ended up as posters on the walls of all the girls I knew at school. But there were some OTHER groups getting airplay and they totally blew me away. Bands like Def Leppard, Quiet Riot, and Twisted Sister were right up there on the screen next to Duran Duran and The Culture Club.

I remember seeing the video for Cum On Feel The Noize and I KNEW that things were going to be different. From the opening drum beat to the scream during the fade-out, it rocked my world. Photograph came soon after and my conversion was complete. I wasn't a headbanger exclusively, but I was close. I would sneak in E.L.O. and Chicago when my buddies weren't around but it didn't take long before I was screaming along with Joe Elliot. I STILL scream along with him. It is kind of hard explaining the devil horns to my four year old though.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lee said...

My four year old mimics the devil horns every now...but I usually have to prompt him.

I go to Roanoke Bible College.

1:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home