free flying soul

"this world has nothing for me and this world has everything...all that I could want and nothing that I need"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Macclesfield, North Carolina, United States

Born: 1970; Graduated High School: 1988; Married: 1991; Children: 1996, 2000, 2005; Graduated College: 2008; Figured Out This Faith Thing: In Progress

Tuesday, July 05, 2005

The Journey Begins

I made the HUGE mistake of stepping on a scale today. While I do my best to refrain from profanities I will confess that I muttered one as the digital numbers blinked up at me. Let me start by saying that I KNEW I was overweight and in dire need of a lifestyle change. It wasn't like the number just popped up out of nowhere. I have been on scales before and I have seen some rather large numbers, but this was LARGEST freaking number I have ever seen in my life.

I remember the day that my scales first cracked the 200 lb mark. It was many years ago and the number seemed awfully large to me. But as I broke the 6 foot mark the weight seemed to distribute itself in all the proper places. I only added another thirty pounds by the time I graduated from high school but my height soon reached 6'4''. I wasn't ripped by any means, but I definitely wasn't fat. I got married and added on a little more weight but it was no big deal. I had height on my side and the extra pounds seemed to blend in.

Then there was the day, a few years ago, when I hit the NEXT big number on the scale. I nearly had a stroke. It wasn't long before I had joined the Atkins craze. I lost almost 50 lbs and was convinced that I would eventually hit the magical number 225, which was what I weighed at graduation. I fought the fight for awhile and then slid back into old habits.

Well, the last couple of years have breezed by and I knew that I had gained back some of the weight. I promised myself that I would start back on the diet after Christmas, then my birthday, then after the baby was born...the date kept getting pushed back. I really didn't feel compelled to jump right back in the game. Then came today. My wife hopped up on a scale and joyfully exclaimed that she was 15 pounds lighter than she was pre-pregnancy. That basically means that she LOST weight while a human being grew inside of her. I knew I was carrying some extra baggage so I hopped up just for kicks and giggles.

To say that I was startled would be putting it lightly. I think the exact words out of my mouth were, "Holy s**t...I'm huge." My wife laughed it off and assured me that I would be able to drop it all. After all, I had easily shed pounds in the past, surely this wouldn't be that difficult.

I wish I shared her enthusiasm. But I am going back to Mr. Atkins carb-starved diet starting tomorrow. I will chronicle my battle with the flab here. That means brutal honesty. I will give you my starting weight and will post weekly checkups. There are a handful of people who read this and know my real name, but I don't care if they see this. The rest of you, if you actually exist, don't know who I am and won't taunt me for being so freaking huge.

Wish me luck...pray for me...read and encourage.

Today's weight: 329 lbs

3 Comments:

Blogger michelle said...

Good luck!!! Guys usually can drop the way pretty well. My hubby did over 50 lbs. and with your supportive wife I am sure you will do the same!!!!

7:04 PM  
Blogger arash said...

what a beautifull world u have
---------------------------------
My candle burns at both ends;‎
It will not last the night;‎
But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends – ‎
It gives a lovely light!‎

Edna St. Vincent Millay, A Few Figs form Thistles, 1920.‎

7:45 PM  
Blogger Lee said...

Thanks for stopping by and leaving comments.

7:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home