free flying soul

"this world has nothing for me and this world has everything...all that I could want and nothing that I need"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Macclesfield, North Carolina, United States

Born: 1970; Graduated High School: 1988; Married: 1991; Children: 1996, 2000, 2005; Graduated College: 2008; Figured Out This Faith Thing: In Progress

Sunday, February 07, 2010

Matthew 13:31-32

He put another parable before them, saying, "The kingdom of heaven is like a grain of mustard seed that a man took and sowed in his field. It is the smallest of all seeds, but when it has grown it is larger than all the garden plants and becomes a tree, so that the birds of the air come and make nests in its branches."

Matthew 13:31-32 (ESV)


This is another good one. I think it (like the parable of the leaven) is more self-explanatory than some people want to make it. I have seen some people try to take the birds in verse 32 and make them mean all sorts of things. My favorite explanation is that the birds represent the evil that lurks within the church when it grows too quickly. Seriously? Come on guys.

I think it is much more simple than that. Verse 32 seems to be a reference back to Ezekiel 17:23.

On the mountain height of Israel will I plant it, that it may bear branches and produce fruit and become a noble cedar. And under it will dwell every kind of bird; in the shade of its branches birds of every sort will nest.


In that passage God promises to send someone who will provide shelter for all who come to Him. Jesus echoes that sentiment and reveals that the promised shelter is found in His kingdom. I do not believe that there is a need to interpret the birds as anything other than just that.

I do confess that I am not a scholar (in the true sense of the word) and that I depend upon the scholarship of those much smarter than myself. If there is some nuance that I am missing due to my lack of expertise in the original languages, I will concede to those who are more learned than myself. I do believe that The Holy Spirit does allow us to study (and understand) the Bible when we allow Him to. That is all I am attempting to do here.

If anyone out there reads something here and feels to compelled to share his/her opinion or correct the author when he is wrong, please do so. I welcome it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home