free flying soul

"this world has nothing for me and this world has everything...all that I could want and nothing that I need"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Macclesfield, North Carolina, United States

Born: 1970; Graduated High School: 1988; Married: 1991; Children: 1996, 2000, 2005; Graduated College: 2008; Figured Out This Faith Thing: In Progress

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Matthew 13:44-46

Here are two more:

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field, which a man found and covered up. Then in his joy he goes and sells all that he has and buys that field."

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant in search of fine pearls, who, on finding one pearl of great value, went and sold all that he had and bought it."

Matthew 13:44-46 (ESV)



I personally believe that these two short parables are not terribly difficult to understand. It would seem that both are comparing the kingdom of heaven with riches that far outweigh our worldly possessions. In both cases we have a man who has discovered something that he values. He values it so much that he is willing to sell everything he owns in order to obtain it.

I have come across at least one commentator who suggested that the parables could possibly be a description of Jesus and the love He has for each one of us. He was willing to give up everything in order to make us His own. I admit that I don't immediately see a problem with that interpretation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home