free flying soul

"this world has nothing for me and this world has everything...all that I could want and nothing that I need"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Macclesfield, North Carolina, United States

Born: 1970; Graduated High School: 1988; Married: 1991; Children: 1996, 2000, 2005; Graduated College: 2008; Figured Out This Faith Thing: In Progress

Monday, August 01, 2005

The View

I will be honest, I had never actually sat down and watched an episode of The View until this morning. The only reason I even tuned in today was because one of the guys from Exodus International was going to be up there with a young man who had been freed from the homosexual lifestyle. I don't know why I expected a fair treatment of such a controversial group on a show hosted by Barbara Walters.

Let me begin by saying that the first 18 minutes of the show turned me off and I never fully recovered. I already had a negative attitude towards the show before the guest I wanted to see ever came out. The opening sequence this morning consisted of these five intelligent women rambling on and on about absolutely nothing. This may be their typical format but I must say that I was left feeling overwhelmed by the vast amount of nothingness they covered. It's not that I don't appreciate or understand female conversations, this just didn't have anything to say...at all.

The show began with Joy Behar (who I do not like at all) talking about losing her ovaries. I'm sympathetic towards the fact that she had medical problems that required the loss of her reproductive organs, but I didn't need her joking about it. It honestly seemed like a comedy bit with no purpose other than the repeated use of the word ovaries.

The conversation then quickly focused on their preferred doctors. Star Jones Reynolds informed everyone that HER doctor was a Republican and had been on some board that President Bush had put together. She then implied that he was good doctor anyway, which brought chuckles from everyone. Meredith Vieira then had to tell eveyone that she preferred Jewish doctors. A good laugh was had by all.

Then Elisabeth Hasselbeck shared that her parents had lost a dog over the weekend that was 17 years old. She explained how the dog was part of her family and that she loved the dog and that it had been around before she got her first period. Why that was important I'll never know, but it generated much sympathy from the panel and they all pondered how long you should wait before buying a new dog.

There were a couple other things they talked about but I had already zoned out and I only heard Barbara Walters explain why The View is such a great show and why it has gotten so many critical reviews over the last eight years. I can sum it up this way: Men are bad and cause road rage...women don't.

Anyways, back to Exodus International. I had to sit through an interview with some fellow whose schoolteacher wife had been caught having sex with an underage student. Joy (who I REALLY don't like) was quick to ask the guy if their sex life was good. After deciding that the guy's ex-wife was a child molester and deserved prison, they played some tapes of his wife talking ot this kid. Much was made about nothing and then they introduced the next guest as a guy who ran a conversion camp for gays.

It is at this point that I got a little mad. Star made sure to spit the words "conversion camp for gays" out in a most venemous fashion. She might as well have said concentration camp. They also had on a young man who had gone through the Exodus ministry and was sharing his story. He was interrupted repeatedly by the hosts and corrected on his misunderstandings about homosexuality. The tagline at the bottom read: Went To Camp That Made Him Straight. I don't know why I was expecting a show like this to treat Exodus fairly but I can say that I was disturbed by their lack of respect for the two men up there. Here were five heterosexual women trying to tell two reformed homosexual men why they were gay. It really ticked me off.

When the young man sharing his story finally got around to talking about his newfound attraction to women, Joy (who I absolutely can't stand) asked him if he had finally had sex with a female. He responded that he was waiting until he got married. You can just imagine the reaction that got. Needless to say, The View did not give a serious look at the issue. They played it up in Jerry Springer fashion and just blew the two guys off without every seriously discussing what Exodus is or what it does.

I guess I was expecting too much wasn't I?

5 Comments:

Blogger Benj said...

Ugh. I'm glad I didn't see that.

2:11 PM  
Blogger michelle said...

You should email that to The View! I am a stay at home and choose not to watch that show (actually I really don't watch any television during the day). Interesting that I am a woman and find that their banter is nothing informative. Bless someone today!

5:40 PM  
Blogger Lee said...

Thanks for the comments. I was starting to think that no one read this thing.

10:13 PM  
Blogger Benj said...

I read, but I've been busy lately.

3:11 PM  
Blogger praynlady said...

ffs, i get the feeling you do not like Joy Behar!? haha I don't really like the show either. I, like yourself on this occassion, will watch if there is someone on that I would like to hear from. Other than that, I'd rather watch Ellen. ( I do not support the gay lifestyle) but I will not judge someone who does. I try to stay on the computer and keep away from the tv. My favorite channel is dishnet satelite channel 6012. Crank it up and let'r rip!

2:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home