free flying soul

"this world has nothing for me and this world has everything...all that I could want and nothing that I need"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Macclesfield, North Carolina, United States

Born: 1970; Graduated High School: 1988; Married: 1991; Children: 1996, 2000, 2005; Graduated College: 2008; Figured Out This Faith Thing: In Progress

Monday, August 08, 2005

I Wonder

I was watching Deep Impact on television last night and I was wondering what God would do to people who selflessly sacrificed their lives to save others. If you've seen the movie then you know what I'm talking about. Do you think God would allow someone into heaven for laying his life down for the sake of humanity? I FIRMLY believe that Jesus Christ is the only way to reach the Father, so I don't know how to answer the question.

I've always wondered about so-called "death bed confessions." If you know you are about to die in a matter of moments, are you truly calling on Christ to save you? Or is it just the fear of death causing you to react? Jesus told a parable about a worker hiring people to work in his field. He hired some early in the morning and he hired even more as the day progressed. At the end of the day he paid them all the same thing regardless of how long they had been in the field. I have always been taught (and assumed) that parable was addressing this matter. All who call upon the name of the LORD will be saved, no matter how long they live afterwards.

But that really doesn't address my question does it? Anyone out there have any opinions? Do you think God would show mercy to someone who gave his/her life for a fellow human? The Bible does say that there is no greater love than when a man lays his life down for his friend. How far do you think that extends? I'm not sure.

1 Comments:

Blogger Benj said...

While it is a relative good to sacrafice for another, when it is not done to the the end of God's glory as the natural outflow of being in Christ, I don't know that it really gets much merit. I don't think their is an exception clause in there.

11:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home