free flying soul

"this world has nothing for me and this world has everything...all that I could want and nothing that I need"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Macclesfield, North Carolina, United States

Born: 1970; Graduated High School: 1988; Married: 1991; Children: 1996, 2000, 2005; Graduated College: 2008; Figured Out This Faith Thing: In Progress

Monday, April 26, 2010

Random Monday Afternoon Thoughts

Normally I would have today off...but...I took Saturday off to do the wedding. Eric asked me if I wanted to work at the job site with the volunteer team that is here this week and I jumped at the chance. It was on a trip just like this one that I got the idea to move down to Mississippi. That did not turn out exactly the way I envisioned it but I do remember how much I enjoyed that initial trip.

I had a blast working with these kids that are down from Vermont. I "supervised" some of them as they sanded walls and then slung mud on sheetrock. It brought back memories of my time down in the Gulf. It made me realize just how much I miss the people in Pearlington and Slidell. It also made me a bit sad that I have so quickly lost touch with all of them. They really mean a lot to me and I think about them all of the time. I really do want to go back down there and visit...but I do not know when/if that will happen. I guess I will have to leave it in God's hands.

It is really cool being on the other side of these trips. It is refreshing to see a bunch of high school kids fired up about helping out people so far away from their home. It helps restore my hope in mankind. I know that may sound a bit melodramatic but it is true. Sometimes I think that most people are just sorry. I see so many of them treating one another like crap...and many of them are in the church. It is good to know that there are people out there who are trying to help.

That is definitely a benefit to this job.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home