free flying soul

"this world has nothing for me and this world has everything...all that I could want and nothing that I need"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Macclesfield, North Carolina, United States

Born: 1970; Graduated High School: 1988; Married: 1991; Children: 1996, 2000, 2005; Graduated College: 2008; Figured Out This Faith Thing: In Progress

Wednesday, August 10, 2005

I Guess I'm Just Heartless

There was a story on the news tonight about the rising rate of desertion in the U.S. Armed Forces. Evidentally a lot of current military personnel are upset about war and don't want to return to duty. There were even a couple of guys up in Canada who had deserted and run away. They basically said that they joined the military for the benefits and the money for college, they didn't want to go to war.

(This is the part where I play my invisible violin and weep from the bottom of my heart.)

I understand these folks being against war and not wanting to kill people, I really do. I feel the exact same way. Here's the difference though...I didn't join the military. I would have a big problem going to another country and shooting someone dead. That's why I didn't enlist. EVERY SINGLE PERSON serving in any branch of the U.S. Armed Forces is doing so voluntarily. We don't have a draft and we don't force people to join. Don't join the Marines and then try to tell me that you didn't sign up to fight...yes you did...you're a MARINE!!!! You have been trained, with my tax dollars, to be the BEST killer possible. Don't weep and whine about having to do the job you signed up to do.

I know...I'm cold and heartless. I can't help it. I have a big problem with people whining about how they didn't sign on for a war when they are professional soldiers. What exactly have they been training for? That's like a doctor whining about having to practice medicine or an accountant claiming that he didn't sign up to do taxes. I've got news for you...if you joined the Army, Navy, Air Force, or Marines then you signed up to fight wars when they happen. You knew that when you signed the papers.

Or am I being unreasonable?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home