free flying soul

"this world has nothing for me and this world has everything...all that I could want and nothing that I need"

My Photo
Name:
Location: Macclesfield, North Carolina, United States

Born: 1970; Graduated High School: 1988; Married: 1991; Children: 1996, 2000, 2005; Graduated College: 2008; Figured Out This Faith Thing: In Progress

Thursday, August 11, 2005

Why Didn't I Buy CDs The First Time?

I have a box that is literally full of cassette tapes. Many of them are from Christian bands and were bought between 1986 and 1995, before I had CD player.This now causing me massive grief because I would love to replace some of these with CDs and I'm quickly discovering that it will be nearly impossible for me to do so. Why? Well, some of them were never released on CD and the others are now out of print.

I first discovered that my switch to CDs was gonna be costly when I went to go buy the first Whitecross album on. My cassette copy had finally worn itself out and I found an online place that sold out of print stuff. It cost me $40. The next album I went looking for was from a guy who called himself Applehead. My cassette of that one had mysteriously vanished and I was really looking forward to hearing it again. I found one copy online that was going for $75. Needless to say, I didn't pick it up. I managed to track down another cassette and secured it.

I have replaced a few of the tapes in my collection through E-bay and the average CD price has been about $25. Tonight I got the itch again and went looking for two albums by the Swirling Eddies. I found both of them on E-bay. One was selling for $69 and the other (the one I REALLY want) was up to $76. You read that right. $76 for a CD. Mind you, it's a brilliant album and I love it a lot...but $76? I guess I'm gonna have to convert my cassettes to mp3 and burn them to CD. I really can't believe that some of these things are that prized by people other than myself.

Would it be wrong to take the extra money from my Pell Grant and go shopping?

(insert winking smiley here)

1 Comments:

Blogger Lee said...

I had thought about that but a lot of these albums aren't available anywhere outside of buying them used. That's why I had been converting some of my more "prized" cassettes to mp3s. A lot of the really big bands are starting to re-release some of these things so I'm finding some of them. But the guys like Swirling Eddies and Applehead are just nowhere to be found.

:(

10:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home